Tuesday

lady sings the blues

It's been awhile since I posted on here so I guess I will give my three or four readers a little treat to get them through their Tuesday.

I am currently on the job hunt. I don't know if it's my desire for money or my need to fill up any vacuous time slots (or my post-collegiate job market anxieties) but I am on a roll. I sent out for CV's and resume last night with a couple more to go this morning. I miss meeting people through work who (usually) share my silly penchant for spending too much money on shoes and vodka tonics.

Speaking of shoes, I finally got the Lanvin bronze metallic oxford's I have been lusting for. Well they're not exactly Lanvin (okay they are Topshop), but I can justify the downgrade by saying this-season's Topshop is more acceptable than last-season Lanvin. Right?

Anyway, I am currently all over this article from the New Yorker:

http://www.newyorker.com/talk/2008/09/29/080929ta_talk_paumgarten

I have argued for a more dangerous New York for the past year and a half, when I became overly frustrated with the inane amount of wealth temples being erected all over the city. Chanel & Hermes in lower Manhattan, trillion-dollar penthouses off of Eldridge. New York needs a severe break from it's love affair with money so it can rebuild itself on creativity and culture, not just wealth. If Paumgarten is right, and unemployment begins to soar while property values plummet, I see a chaotic glimpse of hope in the idea that the citizens of New York (and inevitable migrants) will find something meaningful to do with their time other than simply work. Therein lies the possibility of a new wave of young energy finding a blank-slate Manhattan that is affordable and welcoming. And Manhattan may become the artistic and democratic social playground that makes 70's nostalgia ever-so-alluring (because as glitzy as Studio 54 was, it's appeal lied in the magic than anyone who was no one could get in, an impossible dream in today's bottle-service guido wasteland).

...And the cycle will inevitably come around, and the greed will eventually rebuild itself, but every relationship needs a break now and then. And beauty comes in tragedy.