Saturday

ATOMIC

It's kind of freaky how well Raquel Zimmerman is channeling Blondie in the September issue of Vogue Paris. Note: it's all in the mouth.





In 1979, Blondie recorded a live cover of Donna Summer's "I Feel Love". Not a total stretch since both chicks were musically involved with Giorgio Moroder (the genius who produced it for Donna) not to mention the song's groundbreaking reputation. David Bowie once said:
One day in Berlin ... Eno came running in and said, 'I have heard the sound of the future.' … he puts on 'I Feel Love', by Donna Summer … He said, 'This is it, look no further. This single is going to change the sound of club music for the next fifteen years.' Which was more or less right.

"I Feel Love" goes down in history as the first disco-style song with a fully synthesized backtrack. It is also said that the song created the genres of techno, electronica and house music overnight. I've heard stories of people describing the first time this came on the radio, often stating that "I Feel Love", with it's robotic bass-line and alien vocals, was completely unlike anything they had ever heard. What a feeling. Peep Blondie's rare version.